Cinnamon Apricot Galette
2 1/4 cups of flour
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt
1 cup of cold salted butter, diced
½ cup of cold water
For the Galette:
800 g of semi-firm apricots, pitted and cut into quarters
1/4 cup of sugar
½ tsp of cinnamon powder and extra for a light dusting
1/4 cup of flour
½ cup of reduced Apricot jam
1 tbsp (13 g) light brown sugar
1 egg for the egg wash
1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Then add the butter and press the butter between your fingers, combining it with the flour to create a coarse meal of butter and flour.
2. Slowly add water and mix with a wooden spoon to create a dough form. Now transfer the dough onto a smooth surface and gently roll it together to turn it into a ball. Gently smooth it down into a flat thick surface (this helps with rolling it out easily) and then wrap the dough in plastic or parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
3. In a different bowl, toss the fresh apricots with the sugar, cinnamon and flour.
4. Roll out dough to about 1/8” thick on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper in the form of a large circle. Now slowly transfer dough onto a cookie sheet. Then spread a thin layer of apricot jam onto the dough, leaving about an inch border. Now arrange the apricots decoratively in a circular floral pattern.
5. Then fold the dough border over onto itself to create a crust border. Brush the crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with light brown sugar and dust off with some cinnamon powder. Place the galette, in the fridge for just about 10 -12 minutes to firm up before baking.
6. Bake at 218 degrees Celsius for 20 mins until the crust is golden brown, then cover the crust with some folded aluminum foil to avoid from burning and bake again in the oven at 232 degrees Celsius for 15mins to soften the apricots and to be sure they are well baked.
7. Allow to cool slightly before serving and go ahead and top it up with some whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream.